- 12 oz skinless boneless chicken diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- cup ½ whole dried red chilies
- 1/3 cup diced pickled chilies
- 1 whole star anise
- 3 slices ginger about 2” rounds
- 2 green onion cut into 2” lengths
- cup ¾ chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fermented glutinous rice wine
- teaspoon ½ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark caramel
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat wok over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add chicken and sear until lightly golden, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove chicken from wok, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- Add dried chilies, pickled chilies, star anise, ginger slices and green onion to wok. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, salt, glutinous rice wine, sugar, white pepper, Shaoxing wine, dark caramel and chicken to wok. Bring to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add sesame oil and serve hot.
Dark caramel is made by cooking sugar until it is very dark, then add a little water to liquefy. If dark caramel is not available, substitute 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce and reduce salt to ½ teaspoon.
Share this Recipe