- 4 dried black mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canned straw mushrooms drained
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot sliced
- 1/2 cup zucchini sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- cooking oil for deep-frying
- 8 inches pieces rice crusts each about 2 inches square
- Cut chicken into thin slices, then cut slices into thin strips. Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Soak black mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 30 minutes; drain. Remove and discard stems;thinly slice caps.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Add chicken, black mushrooms and straw mushrooms. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add bamboo shoots, carrot, zucchini, peas, wine, salt and pepper; simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a wok, heat oil for deep-frying to 375'F. Deep-fry rice crusts, 4 pieces at a time, turning continuously, until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 seconds. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, bring hot soup to the table in a tureen. Slide hot rice crusts into the soup and listen to the sizzle. Break rice crusts with soup ladle and serve.
Recipe from Martin Yan's Culinary Journey Through China, Publisher: KQED Books & Tapes. Photograph by Geoffrey Nilsen.
Share this Recipe
2 thoughts on “Sizzling Rice Soup”
I was looking for this recipe for a long time.
It seems what I had in L.A long time ago.
I want to make it.
But you don’t have any direction or how to make video
For the rice crusts.
I saw some of videos but all different.
I like your s looks white and clean .
Please send me information how to make perfect rice crust.
This soup is special because you are using rice crusts
So flavourful .
Thank you very much.
Looks so delicious.
If you cook the rice in a covered saucepan (not a rice cooker) and slightly overcook until there is a dry but white crust in the bottom of the pan, this is what you deep fry according to the directions.